Meet Nicko J. Mhapa - Our Weekly Featured Blogger

Happy Friday! Welcome to our weekly blogger interviews on the Tanzanian Blog Awards. Today our special thanks to Nicko Mhapa for taking the time to sit down and answer these questions.

1. Can you tell us a little about you and your blog?
SCHOLARSHIP AND JOBS is a blog developed and managed by Individual Blogger, Nicko Mhapa. The blog was launched in 19th December, 2009 ( by the name “AFRICAN INTELLECTUAL” targeting all students in higher learning institutions, graduates, high schools and other educated workers where it meant to supply them with important updates on scholarship positions and job vacancies and other information (News through photo). In December 2011 the blog changed its name and url to SCHOLARSHIP AND JOBS (www.sokonibongo.blogspot.com) from AFRICAN INTELLECTUAL (www.wasomi.blogspot.com)
  1. Are you a full time blogger? How did you get into blogging and why?
I blog full time, whenever I get an update on a certain issue I review it carefully and post it right away. I get into blogging by being inspired by several bloggers who just brightened my dream to have my own web. The reasons as to why I get into blogging include but not limited to; Working as a hobby (I like blogging), the need to disseminate information among information seekers, to bring together college students to discuss on several matters in relation to life-academically, socially and politically, to bring a social media on which they will be free to express their views towards
  1. What do you find most challenging about blogging about your topic?
The challenge is on getting information about Scholarship and Jobs especially focusing Tanzanian audience. This is a totally tiresome job and unpaid one, this lies on my passion to cater for my audience’s needs.
  1. How many years have you been blogging?
I have been in blogging since December 2009 I have 3 years as blogger.
  1. What do you do when you aren’t working on your blog?
I work as self employed IT technician doing web designing and computer repairs
  1. How many times do you think about your blog when you’re away from the computer?
Blogging has taken my mind! Most of the time when am away from my computer I think how will I Improve my blog to attract more viewers and cater for my audience’s needs
  1. Who are your readers?
My audiences are higher learning school students, graduates of different education levels, job hunters and other uncategorized viewers.
  1. Is there any other networking that you do to help your blog reach you targeted readers?
Yes, I have my representatives in different universities like Mzumbe University, University of Dar es Salaam and University of Dodoma they put posters showing my blog url and explain to students about my blog, I have listed my blog to other bloggers
  1. What was the most challenging moment in your blog content development process and why?
The most challenging moment was that of template customization, I did it all in my own without having relevant knowledge on HTML, CSS I was forced to go through books to review the lessons without a teacher! Thank God I did it.
  1. How do you handle it when you just can’t think of an idea to write about?
I consult my fellow bloggers if they have anything they can share with me on my blog; I also consult my blog friends to know if they have something they want to share.
  1. What is your strategy with your blog in general?
I would like to see more Tanzanian going abroad for further studies by providing them with relevant information and chances, I would like to see many jobless gets their dream jobs, and in general I want to be a part in Tanzania elite development.
  1. Is it bet­ter to get facts from some­one else, or con­duct your own exper­i­ments for results?
It is better to conduct my own experiments. This is due to the fact that all queries are directed to me as chief editor of the blog so if anything happens I will have to answer by myself. If I get some news to be published I conduct a clear analysis to know its details and manifestation of the issue itself
  1. What’s the best thing a blogger can give to his readers?
Right information at right time is the best thing a blogger can give his/her readers
  1. How would (someone) describe your blogging style?
One can describe that the blogger uses focus strategy his direct concern is clearly defined, he goes direct to the topic and also enhance his blog content with issues directly effecting his audience’s lives.
  1. What has been your strategy for creating visibility to yourself and your blog?
I have a special page for my blog where I post updates from my blog, I promote it via Linkedin, local radio stations like Ebony FM from Iringa and Uplands FM –Njombe, clear visibility strategy is through popularity campaign run to promote the blog through advertising the blog itself through brochures.
  1. Everyone has a favorite/least favorite post. Name yours and why?
My favourite post was “LOAN OFFICERS JOB VACANCIES” this was my first post that gave me feedback that some people acknowledged that they were employed as they found the post in my blog and applied successful, the least post was that of “UN JOB OPPORTUNITIES-kazi kwenu wa2 wangu” its language presentation was not well designed.
  1. Name some of the bloggers whom you look up to and why?
Mostly I look up to Makulilo blogspot and Jestina George, this is because they are my contributors and they are the ones who inspired me to get into blogging.
  1. Tell me about some of the people you’ve met while working on your blog?
While blogging I met many people, few of them are Ebou Shatry Tanzanian living in UK, Jestina George also living in UK, Makulilo-Tanzanian living in California USA, Josephat Lukaza, Francis Godwin and many Tanzanian journalists especially bloggers and radio presenters and may others.
  1. Do you think you owe some­one for com­ment­ing on your blog?
Yes, I owe someone who comments on my blog, this is because if someone comments it means he/she is interested in what he/she is commenting; I owe giving him/more so that he/she visits my site again and again.
  1. Is it worth reply­ing to com­ments on your blog know­ing that most of your replies will never be responded to or even read again?
Yes it is worth replying because it is my concern and I never know whether the one who commented will visit again, as a matter of socializing, even if the one who commented doesn’t come back then other readers will see that I reply on comments and so be motivated to comment.
  1. Have you ever thought of not approv­ing a com­ment because it is neg­a­tive know­ing nobody will find out?
Yes, if the comment is not of standards set out by my guideline I do not approve, I know that there are those who comment for good and others are ones who are haters of me so they discourage what I am doing.
  1. Do you think peo­ple who com­ment on your blog with key­words in their name are worth being replied to, or even acknowl­edged in your blog?
Yes, this will show good correspondence between me and my readers. Being social is good but this must be in accordance with my work guideline.
  1. Is it wrong to com­ment on your own blog under a dif­fer­ent name?
No, it is not wrong as some people do not want their names to appear but they have very good comments so I do not insist on using true names, nicknames are accepted in my blog.
  1. Do you value every com­ment you get on your blog the same, regard­less of the con­tent of the comment?
No, I value the comment basing on its content, good comments are encouraged and non sense comments are replied very technical to educate the one who commented.
  1. Do you believe com­ments on your blog with more writ­ing should be val­ued and rewarded higher than com­ments with less writing? Are you easily discouraged?
No, content matters and not length though more writings are good because I get to know many things but being straight to the point is a good approach that I like. I am not easily  discourage because I expected both positive and negative attitudes of audience so I take it easy that good or bad is an attitude which is not the same to all people, we differ in attitudes.
  1. Are you ever will­ing to edit an image you use in your blog post to make it look more appeal­ing and eye catching?
Yes, every image received is reviewed basing on human rights and my target audience, images are edited to meet my pre defined standards.
  1. Do you avoid post­ing con­tro­versy on your blog because you have none to post, or you’re afraid some­one might dis­agree with you?
While posting I don’t target some people either I don’t think of me I think of how resourceful is the post to majority of my readers, I have no fear
  1. Would you feel more accom­plished if you got 20 com­ments from “reg­u­lar” blog­gers, or just 1 com­ment from a highly respected “famous” blogger?
I would have felt accomplished if I got 20 comments from regular blogger rather than just 1 comment from a famous blogger, this is because I target majority and not minority getting 20 comments will reflect vast coverage of audience –which is my goal.
  1. Do you define your blog as a suc­cess if you make a lot of money from it and get a lot of com­ments per post?
I define success of my blog from feedback of success stories from my posts because it is my prime intention, money and comments are minor factors to define success of my blog. This is according to my goal and objectives.
  1. Are you a “thinker” and “plan­ner” instead of a “doer”?
I am a doer; I like it being done in time rather than waiting more unsuccessful plans and thinking
  1. Are you being as per­sonal as you can with your read­ers (pic­ture of your­self, small bio, etc.)?
No, I go by the name of blog more than myself, this is because I want to deliver the message and not to make me famous, there is a little about me, it is more about the blog itself and if people find it resourceful they find my contacts and acknowledge.
  1. What are some of your goals this year for your blogs or where do you see yourself blogging wise in the next 12 months, and 5 years down the road?
My goals;
·        To continue finding best information for my viewers
·        To run a big visibility campaign to colleges so as to ensure more people get access to information I provide. (this year)
·        To become an agent for overseas studies (more than one year plan)
·        To become recruiting agent (more than one year plan)
  1. Any specific tips you have for new bloggers who want to make it in the blogosphere?
Blogging is not an easy task everyone can do, they have to be:
  • Dedicated
  • Talented
  • Passionate
  • Hard working and
  • Ethical
  1. What is the ultimate Goal for a blogger in your opinion?
In my opinion the Ultimate Goal of a blogger is “Disseminating Information to Information Seekers”
  1. A lot of people are interested in blogging for the money earning potential. What are some tips for people interesting in making money from blogging? What are some realistic expectations in regards to what can be made?
Tips for people interested in making money from blogging:
  • Don’t target on money first target on your blog theme and money will come later
  • Impress your audience so that you have more viewers’ statistics to convince investors to your blog.
  • Use other money making tools like Google Ads, Infolinks and other companies which are able to integrate Ads in your blog which pays per click on their ads.
In reality they should not expect much, what can be made depends on one’s efforts to deliver the message to his/her audience. Generally blogging is not “a business” do it like a hobby!

Thanks so much for interviewing with us, Nicko!  Good luck to you and your blog.

If you or someone you know would be great for our Weekly Blogger Interview, please email us at Tanzanian Blog Awards and tell us! 

4 comments:

Abdallah Majid Nassor said...

NAONA MMERUDISHA HII KITU BAADA YA KUPOTEA KWA MUDA....MAY BE NEXT TIME MIMI NITAKUWA FEATURED HAPA.

ABDALLAH M. NASSOR
BLOGGING SINCE 2005.
ndambile.blogspot.com

emuthree said...

Tumemkubali na wewe pia mpendwa tupo pamoja

Cesc Henry SN said...

NADHANI KWENYE KUPITA PITA NIKADONDOKEA HAPA SO NAJARIBU KUWAMBIA INAKUWAJE MTU ANAWEZA KUPIGA KURA ZAIDI YA MARA MOJA KWENYE KURASA TOFAUTI ZA KWENU ATAKAZO PITIA?


CESC HENRY
dinhodesign250@gmail.com
thedinhodesign.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

great kaka,up proactive nimekuwa nafuatilia sana blog yako,upo kikosi kazi kama jeshi la USA